When you buy a led strip, you also need to buy a driver (transformer) for it. Here are a few things to take into consideration before selecting the right driver:
- Is the led strip 12V or 24V? Select the driver to match the voltage of the strip!
- Does the driver need to be water resistant or not? The IP-class tells you the protection level. For example IP20 is not water resistant. The second digit of the IP-number tells you the water protection and the first digit is for the dust (ingress of solid objects). Higher the number, better the protection.
- The length and the power consumption of the led strip determines the size (in watts) of the driver. We always recommend to select a driver that is at least +10% bigger than needed for it to last longer. Do you need to dim the led strip and how do you want to do it? Driver dimming options include:
- TRIAC dimming (rotatable wall dimmer) driver
- DALI driver
- 1-10V dimming driver
- Inbuild RF dimmer-driver (paired with wireless button)
- Non-dimmable driver, but with secondary side dimming
- No dimming
How to calculate the size of the driver
The length of the led strip determines the size of the driver needed. Bear in mind that you can have one continuous led strip of 10 meters if the strip is 24V, but with a 12V led strips, the maximum length of continuous led strip is 5m. On any led strips that are longer, you will see a change in the brightness of the led strip towards the other end. Also the beginning of the led strip might start to get warmer. All of this has an effect on the lifetime of the led strip.
Perly 14,4W/m 24V led strip with 8m installation would be calculated as follows:
- 14,4 x 8 x 1,1 = 126,72
So the power consumption per meter is multiplied with the desired length of the led strip after which the +10% is added. So for this set you’d need to choose a driver that is bigger than 127W. From LedStore’s selection of drivers, the next one that is big enough is for example 150W TRIAC or 150W regular driver.
If you still feel that selecting the right driver for your system is overwhelming, do not hesitate to contact us. We are more than happy to help!