Led strips as under cabinet lighting has become a popular solution on lighting the kitchen work spaces. The led strip is slim and minimalistic but bright solution for the work tops. LedStore has IP65 water resistant led strips as well as one IP65 water resistant aluminium profile (for led strips). So installations under draining cupboards are not a problem.
With led strips installed on an aluminium profile you get a nice and even light to the whole work space. Always install the led strip on a material that has a good heat conductivity (aluminium profile) to make the life time of the led strip longer.
Our led strips last up to 35.000h except our Supreme led strips that can last up to 70.000h, as long as you make sure that it is cooled properly.
Installing the work top led strip
We have a selection of aluminium profiles with a diffuser for led strips. The diffuser makes most of our led strips nice and even. For kitchen counter top led lighting, the most popular aluminium profiles are:
- Surface (straight) aluminium profile, brushed aluminium, IP65
- Surface (straight) aluminium profile, white
- Aluminium profile 45 degrees, brushed aluminium
To select the best profile for your installation, first choose do you want to install the profile on the front, middle or back edge of the cabinet bottom. When installed on the front or in the middle of the cabinet, we recommend straight, surface profiles so the light comes staright down to the counter top. Installed next to the back wall, you can also use the 45 degrees profile, so the light comes a bit further from the back wall.
Installations near the back wall are usually more popular, as you can install the wires more discreetly. The driver is usually installed inside the cabinet or on top of the cabinet. If possible, we recommend you to ask your electrician to install a socket for the driver, so that the further maintenance of the system will be easier (ie. if you should need to change the driver). It is possible to have an on/off wall switch for the socket.
How to dim the kitchen led strip
Few examples of the dimming of the led strip in kitchens:
- Replacing a light that has an on/off switch on the body ie. no switch on the wall, can be easily done with our VaLO-series wireless dimmers or with the touch dimmer. With VaLO-series, you install the receiver between the led strip and the driver and then pair it up with the dimmer button (different models). The touch dimmer is installed between the led strip and the driver, on the aluminium profile. Both of these will dim the led strip from secondary side. This means that the driver does not need to be dimmable for the dimming to work.
- On new buildings or on kitchens with on/off switch you can have a wall dimmer. Just select a dimmable driver that suits your installation. Driver size is calculated by the power consumption and lenght of the led strip. We advice you to add 10% extra to make the driver to last longer.
Good led strips for kitchen work space
We recommend you to select a led strip that has a minimum of 1000 lumens/m light power. From our strips, these are the ones we recommend: